Technology from Certain Underwater Drone Companies Stagnate

Eternal Angler

Administrator
It really seems like some of the other underwater drone companies aren't willing to upgrade their ROVs fast enough like QYSEA, Chasing Innovation, and Geneinno is willing to. I don't know if this is because of lack of funding or just thinking they don't need to or what?

But the companies I'd say definitely need an upgraded version of their underwater drone is Sofar Ocean's Trident, PowerVision with the Power Ray, Aquarobotman with the Nemo, and of course the Robosea Biki which basically failed soon as it hit the market. Some of these underwater drones need upgraded 4k cameras, more thrusters for more stability, better battery power, and the ability to add a claw or other accessories.

I hate to say it, but I think these three underwater drone companies are going to leave the other companies in the dust if they don't start listening to what hobbyists are wanting in the Facebook Groups, Instagram or even the Forums.

I had a recent rep say that the claw technology is gimmicky, I agree, it was gimmicky for the first generation underwater drone like the Geneinno T1, but now with the next generation of underwater drones like the Fifish V6s and Chasing M2, hobbyists actually finding WW2 artifacts and tackle box full of squid jigs, then bringing them up to the surface. I know some of these things may be just garbage to some people with little to no value at all, however, have your every seen how popular the diving channels are like DALLMYD that monetize these videos and how much money they bring in? I think people love mystery and treasure hunting, if you can bring up weird things with little to no value, people are still interested in watching because they're curious, that's why clickbait is so enticing to people, we really do live in the age of clickbait. But personally, I didn't buy the Chasing M2 thinking I'm going to make a ton of money on my monetized youtube videos, I'm actually looking to try and find musky lures and even use lead from old lures so I can recycle them, melt the lead down and use them for other baits. I also enjoy cleaning up the environment!

What I'm getting at here is a good portion of the underwater drone community has been itching for a claw for the Gladius Mini and Fifish V6, that's obvious with all the tech savy hobbyists coming out with their own custom claws like Ketil, Thomas Eichhorn, and Erhan's claw for the Dory, which doesn't seem practical at all, but maybe as the technology improves... There's really no reason to stop trying to develop a technology just because it doesn't work, you also tend to learn from your mistakes and develop new things. For a lot of the drone companies that are staying dormant and aren't willing to upgrade your technology, I think a lot of you are making a big mistake.

I think something like the BW Space Pro is still a great underwater drone, have impressive features still comparable to the V6s, M2, and T1 Pro, however, I just have a feeling that the BW Space Pro isn't getting as much publicity due to the other drones not having a bottom port and the ability to upgrade to accessories such as a claw, sonar, external camera or LED light.

We'll see how things work out, maybe some of the technology is overpriced and isn't there yet, but it's quite obvious which underwater drones seem to be leading the market, but hey, maybe I'm wrong. I'd still recommend listening to what features the majority of hobbyists want from an underwater drone.

CMO Jacky Yang from Chasing Innovation and Will Turner from Geneinno had specifically messaged me numerous times asking what I want from a next generation of underwater drone, I also talked to a few QYSEA reps. It's obvious some of these companies are making use of these social media tools to the full extent, actually listening, watching, and absorbing consumers information. I know Chasing is pissed at me for saying the M2 is still shaking and unstable in the videos, but I'm sure that will keep pushing them to develop the software and make a better next generation of underwater drone. And to me, as a hobbyist, the company that I'm willing to invest in, is a company that listens to what the hobbyist wants, communicates, shows good support to their customers, even goes out of their way to try and develop new technology even if it doesn't work.

I heard numerous 3rd party companies say sonar is way out of the price range claiming it's $30k plus, again if you read what Geneinno had post on their website, they'd show support for 3rd party aftermarket sonar modules. If you do your research, you'd find that Blue Robotics has a sonar module, the Ping360 for $1,975. I think this goes back to what goes on within the car community with parts, ya know Mopar of course has their own upgrades to their Charger and Challenger, a lot of times OEM stock is way overpriced to most people right? There's nicknames for the dealership when you have to get oem parts replaced, right, the "stealership?" lol But then there's the aftermarket 3rd party companies that make aftermarket hoods with a more aggressive ram air hood scoop that's affordable, even lighters. Then there's even cheaper aftermarket wheels that look better, lighter, stronger, yet again, cheaper... There's even better aftermarket cold air intake and air filters by companies like K&N that are cheaper and the air flows faster through. Of course sometimes these aftermarket claims are a little outrageous on how much horsepower they make for your engine, but still, sometimes aftermarket products are better than stock OEM. And I have a hunch, this might be where we're headed with all the aftermarket 3rd party goodies I'm starting to see pop up for the Chasing M2: light arms, floodlight, etc... I expect we'll eventually see some aftermarket batteries that are cheaper then there stock OEM batteries that are way overpriced.

I was just watching Captain Drone talk about the new aftermarket stealth propellers by Master Airscrew for the Mavic Mini, they're supposedly quieter, cheaper, more resilient, and even perform better. I'll have to pick some up when I get a chance for my Mavic Mini!

Fun times we're living in, I always loved the car hobby, but the one thing cars will never have on the underwater drone hobby, is an environment and ecosystem completely undiscovered by human beings! I loved this recent video I watched on the various new species ROVs found in the ocean like the Marianas Trench. The ocean, lakes, and rivers are really just like space, just never know what you might see or find. I used to watch this show called MonsterQuest on History channel, it definitely exaggerated things a bit, however, I suspect there's still monster musky that we haven't caught yet which could measure upwards of 60 to 70 to 80 inches. I know there's been a few 60 inchers caught out of the St. Lawrence River, but imagine being able to try and hunt these massive apex predators down using sonar or even laser scaler like the one from Geneinno to measure these fish. Just so exciting to me, this is the technology I've been waiting for and it's finally here to stay, it's only going to get better and better, improve on a yearly basis, monthly basis, daily basis, eventually hourly basis, because that's what technology does. I expect one day they'll be marketing underwater drones towards fishermen even at the Ultimate Fishing Show in my home state of Michigan, aka the Great Lakes. Once fishermen find out how useful they could become for both professional and amateur fishermen alike, I think the popularity of this technology will grow, but I still think it's a little too much money for most, that's why it hasn't caught on quite yet. The first aerial drone I had ever purchased is the Mavic Mini, there's a reason why... I just can't imagine losing a $1,000 or $2,000 dollar drone out at sea! However, now that these underwater drones have robotic arms, lol, that may give me confidence to get a more expensive drone.