Gladius Mini Upgraded?

Eternal Angler

Administrator
gladius-mini-upgraded.jpg

It was just announced September 4th that Chasing Innovation has recently upgraded the Gladius Mini, now what does that mean? You can take a lot of guesses, some people thought it meant meant they have activated the SD card port. Someone thought their was an firmware or app upgrade, which if I think if it pertained to software they would usually would refer to this as an "update" not an upgrade.

I can't say too much, as I did catch wind of this upgrade a few months ago talking to CMO Jacky Yang, but it will be a big hardware upgrade for the Gladius Mini. Looking forward to a future announcement explaining the new features!

Has there been any further information on this come to light?

I have a feeling that the Gladius Mini I received today may be an "upgrade" model as it differs in a few key areas to any I have seen reviews on and I can't find one like it mentioned on the web so far.

Mine came with no base station and the tether connects directly from the ROV to the controller. The controller has a markedly different device holder from any I have seen pictured having a metal arm pivoting from the top of the controller rather than the rear and having a device holder that adjusts in three directions for size but can not be swivelled from landscape to portrait position as the one you normally see pictured can. There is also a HDMI connector on the controller rear itself. There does not appear to be a micro sd card slot on the controller.

Being a total new comer to these machines I'm not sure what else might differ from the original Mini and the documentation is probably the weakest part of the package. Some of the items in the diagrams are incorrectly labelled or seem to reflect the older model.

As I mentioned in my first post here, mine seems to have shipped without a fresh water ballast weight. Hopefully they'll be able to provide me with one from the retailer and I will not need to return the whole package because it's on charge now with an aim to being baptised in the ocean tomorrow. :D

Now I need to research correct maintenance techniques when taking it out of the salt which I gather from a quick read to be a lengthy voyage around the bat tub in fresh water and silicon spray into the motor assemblies which fortunately I have on hand here at home.

Regards

Ari

Gladius

Hi,yes,gladius got updated,controller is now also base station,firmware got updated so there is no need for Freshwater weight,Seawater weight comes already attached to mini and it will work in fresh water without any problems...

Myrz

Hi,yes,gladius got updated,controller is now also base station,firmware got updated so there is no need for Freshwater weight,Seawater weight comes already attached to mini and it will work in fresh water without any problems...

Is it possible to change the SD card on the upgraded model?

Gladius

My gladius is new so i dont have reason to open battery compartment yet but i did see in manual that you should grease seal after you replace battery or “sd card”....i dont see anywhere info about max size of sd card nor what type of sd card should be used with mini....from my experiance with quadcopters and 4k cameras u cant use just any sd card...it will be interesting to find more about it.......btw,anyone having problems with android phone not recognizing gladius mini.....i get instant connection with both ipads,nothing when i open app in android ?

Myrz

My gladius is new so i dont have reason to open battery compartment yet but i did see in manual that you should grease seal after you replace battery or “sd card”....i dont see anywhere info about max size of sd card nor what type of sd card should be used with mini....from my experiance with quadcopters and 4k cameras u cant use just any sd card...it will be interesting to find more about it.......btw,anyone having problems with android phone not recognizing gladius mini.....i get instant connection with both ipads,nothing when i open app in android ?

I got no problem connecting with my android phone. Just make sure you're on the wifi.

Yeh 4K needs faster read/write SDs. The built in SD card seems to be ~60GB. Just a bit strange given that won't last the 2 hour battery life worth of 4K footage.

I got no problem connecting with my android phone. Just make sure you're on the wifi.

Yeh 4K needs faster read/write SDs. The built in SD card seems to be ~60GB. Just a bit strange given that won't last the 2 hour battery life worth of 4K footage.
Hi
As I’ve said before I’m utterly new to ROVs but I am a commercial remote pilot and I do these calculations all the time. I’m not at home at the moment but from memory the mini is shooting at 4k 3840x2160 30fps and 60Mbps when you do the maths at those figures 2 hours of footage works out to be 7.5MB per second and a total size of 54GB so it should all fit on there. It’ll just take a long time to transfer off not being able to just pull out an sd card and stick it in a reader as I do with my DJI equipment.

Regards
Ari

Gladius

I am up in Massachusetts,last saturday took my mini to Walden Pond in Concord(100 feet deep),strong wind and with lights on i could tell that mini was working really hard,bobbing up and down every time i moved it....after 30 minutes power was already down to 60% so i dont see really way of getting 2 hours of 4k video....maybe in perfect situation and water thats clear and there is no need to use led light

Gladius

Well,figured out problem with my android lg v35 phone and not connecting to gladius.....gladius doesnt like mobile connection...connected gladius wifi to phone,no connection in app,turned On airplane mode in phone,turned on Wifi,got instant connection in app,turned off airplane mode in phone and gladius got disconnected...so it is just matter of turning airplane mode on to get it to work 🧐

Last edited: