Fifish problems

saeschku

I've tried everything but the same thing happens every time. as soon as I start on the controller the Fifish V6 moves uncontrolled in all directions. i calibrated all the sensors and checked them too, but it just doesn't work. can someone help me

->

NE Explorer

Hi,
I had the same problem, but it was only after I replaced a propeller(prop). The Fifish orients itself when you first start up the engines. The props are cut differently and spin in opposite directions. If you have an incorrect prop in place, when it tries to orient itself using that prop, it will instead began to move uncontrolled in all directions as the different props fight each other to get the Fifish corrected. Eventually I figures out the issue, put in the correct prop and it worked fine. There is a diagram of how the different props should be placed.

Last edited:

finny77

I have the same issue--put the FiFish V6 in the water, unlock it and it goes berserk. Has happened since brand new, and is only about 3 months old. Am using an iPhone app with it, and kept up with the latest firmware, app updates, etc. I'll contact QYSEA about the thrusters, thank you for this info!

infieldg

Same, bought mine last week. Every time it surfaces it churns water like a jetboat, which actually moves it forward, and it sometimes keeps doing it for ages. I recallibrated gyros and mag, no change.

I unscrewed the cover underneath to check on the salt water buoyancy compensator weight and there isn't one. There was no mention of one in the instructions and I've just searched the box again, no weight.

So I suspect my problem is simply that it's sitting too high in salt water without the weight, exposing the tops of the thrusters.

It's front/centre in this pic from the QYSEA website - I'll go back to the guys I bought it off tomorrow and ask ;

1643525211029.png

EDIT - they may have done away with it, this QYSEA unboxing video of a V6 in Sept 2019 calls it a 'seawater module' but the cover described in my v1.4 quick start manual is called a 'mounting port' and has three screws whereas the older v1.2 quick start showed a two screw cover (consistent with the cutouts in the weight in the photo) and describesdit as the 'Fresh/Sea Water Module' (cover). So maybe later models dropped it, which means mine will probably be happier in sea water when my substantial looking lighting mount bracket arrives and I hang something off it.

I have the same issue--put the FiFish V6 in the water, unlock it and it goes berserk. Has happened since brand new, and is only about 3 months old. Am using an iPhone app with it, and kept up with the latest firmware, app updates, etc. I'll contact QYSEA about the thrusters, thank you for this info!

Last edited:

Hoops

Hi
I have today unboxed my brand new V6, updated the firmware, calibrated controller and drone.. When i press unlock once everything is connected the thrusters run non stop. When i put it in water it rolls over continuously. Does anyone have any ideas please.

infieldg

Hi, I was talking to the NZ agent for these who was involved with the initial prototypes of the V6 and did a lot of field testing of the first units back in early 2019.

They said that "the initial production runs of the v6 had these weights, but they stopped supplying them on the 3rd production run back in 2019. They were not needed. Their initial intention was to adjust the weight for using the v6 in fresh water or salt water" before agreeing that it was "better to be positively buoyant in these scenarios for recovery purposes if the v6 were to die... they then started using this as the 'accessories port' after that".

That made sense to me when I really thought about dragging a dead drone backwards over everything on the bottom :)

I noticed mine was showing the wrong angle on the screen (said it was pointing almost vertical but the camera said it wasn't) so after that drive I used the gyro calibration option above the magnetometer/compass calibration (from memory) and I think that fix the 'rolling over' problem.

But honestly with just three drives under my belt, you should probably ignore my experience!

Hoops

Thanks Infieldg
I will try a 3rd attempt at calibration. I suspect it is a calibration issue as the running thrusters change if i move the drone. I picked it up Friday and had visions of spending the weekend at the lake practicing 😒

infieldg

I've used it a fair bit now (only in sea water) and without exception it always goes nuts on the surface, I have to unlock and sink it asap to keep the peace. I guess that's how it is after the design change to make it a bit floatier for retrieval - probably also why it's so hard to drag by the cord unless you lock the props, it's constantly using the motors to maintain depth by the looks of it.

Splashing aside, I'm in love with mine, sooooo good! :)