Chasing M2 ROV Support 3rd Party Sonar?

Eternal Angler

Administrator
Someone recently made a post on the Underwater ROV Community Facebook Group mentioning how they're interested in getting an ROV with Sonar due to low visibility in his area, but wants the underwater drone to stay in the 5k to 8k range?

I think that may be pretty hard considering sonar can be pretty expensive, however, if yo do your research you'll see that Blue Robotics has a sonar module, the Ping360 for $1,975, not bad considering Geneinno's Omini Sonar costs 5x that price. I didn't know this, glad someone mentioned this in the Facebook post.

Now the question is, I'm curious and wonder if Chasing Innovation will allow 3rd party sonar for their M2 and M2 Pro underwater drones? Just like the bold statement Geneinno made in a claim on their website.

Quote - "T1 supports third-party sonar(need to be customized)." Maybe Will from Geneinno can expand on what this means, the software needs updating and customizing, the hardware might need customizing. I'm somewhat tech savy, but still not quite sure.

geneinno-t1-pro-sonar.jpg

Kind of funny, this other comment goes back to the commercial vs consumer drone I mentioned earlier in the week, the dude that runs a separate 3rd party business selling M2s to police departments, mentioned sonar modules cost in the $30k range. Then I go Geneinno's sonar sells for a lot less than that, but then he said from a true commercial sonar sensor from a reputable US manufacturer.

I'm thinking true? Didn't you say in a previous Facebook post that the M2 is a "commercial drone" and you've sold them to police departments after a Firefighter complained that the consumer underwater drone Mini isn't working for his purpose.
It seems everyone has their own ideas of what an actual commercial drone is these days, the lines are kind of starting to merge as the consumer sector is getting better, kind of like I said may happen in the sometime future as the technology gets better. I suspect there may be some favortism in there too, some thinking that the Chasing M2 is commercial and the M2 isn't.

Again, BlueRobotics 360 sonar addon for the BlueROV2 costs $2k, I think the BlueROV2 is considered commercial right? Anyways, I think this makes for some interesting discussion!

commercial-underwater-drone-rov-sonar-cost.jpg

Eternal Angler

Administrator
So afterwards the commenter debating with me deleted his comment and seem to have blocked me on Facebook, saying I blasted the Chasing M2 in my previous comments saying how it's unstable and shaky, which I think it is and stand by what I said, then suggested how contradictive I was for going out and buying an M2 the new day. Look, I'm not the only one saying this on YouTube and other social media platforms like Instagram. Then he remarked "you be the expert then."

chasing-m2-shaking-jerking.jpg

By the way, looks as though Chasing did delete the Instagram video I commented on, along with another hobbyist pointing out the shaking of the Chasing M2 and how he even "plans on waiting 2 years until they stabilize the M2", this same video can still be seen on YouTube.

First and foremost, I'm definitely not trying to be an expert, just trying to learn myself and help since we're all in new fairly territory, I think what's going on is the technology is improving and we're seeing the commercial and consumer sector kind of merging, I said that in a previous post. I had a feeling this was going to ruffle some feathers, I think what we're starting to see is some hobbyist claim certain underwater drones are commercial while others aren't.

And if he thought my constructive criticism was blasting, I'm sorry to hear that and I do apologize if I came off strong. But feedback and criticism is how the technology improves, even drives people and companies to become better, even though some may not like it and can't take it. (Look I'm not a fan of Steve Jobs myself because of what I learned how toxic his work environment became, so I know there's a line that can be crossed.) But I have "hope" that with more software algorithm updates that the harsh jerking and shaking can be improved, I took a risk and still decided to invest in a company that I think is of quality.

Ya know, some people don't like Dustin Dunnil's criticism when an underwater drone doesn't meet his expectations and he has to be honest with a bad review because that's his job, but truthfully like I said before, what I don't like is how Dustin does his reviews after using a drone for only a few days, to me he should at least take 2-3 weeks or a month of using the drone before doing a review, that way have covers the quality/resiliency factor. I've already heard some of the stories that have surfaced. If you notice, I'm trying to stay objective and still keep the T1 Pro in the commercial sector as this M2 owner/seller kind of suggested that Geneinno's sonar is not of "true" commercial quality... Yet claimed the M2 is of commercial quality in another post! Anyways, I expect there's going to be some disagreements and favoritism in the future as always with tribalism(Joe Rogan talks about with humans), I come from the car scene, so I've seen it with Ford vs GM vs Mopar clubs. I've owned my share of muscle cars myself too, 04 Cobra Mustang, 02 Trans Am WS.6, 98 Camaro and now own a Dodge Dart... I do have my most favorite car company and car as well, along with underwater drone company and ROV, I'm human, but I'm still trying to stay objective at times, it's not easy. Anyways, wish everyone the best.

I guess this is all expected, let the underwater drone wars begin huh? Well, I'm gonna refrain from getting into any deep debates from now on, I understand that guy has a 3rd party company to run and a reputation to uphold, as well as keeping this forum welcoming place on the web, despite most hobbyists going to social media now for their information. Everyone will have always have there favorite, I expect with time there'll be forums strictly for the Fifish, as well as the M2, T1, etc... What always tends to happen looking at the car hobby as an example, but I think having a forum will all the info is shared at a since source is a lot more easier to navigate, why I made this forum. I honestly use the search box myself to review the specs on each drone or what I said, because I tend to forget at times. Again, wish everyone the best.

Last edited: